Saturday, February 24, 2018

A Poem to White

This evening, as I carried a bouquet of baby's breath flowers away from my bridal shower, the color of the dainty blossoms and their perfume stirred the words for this poem, which quickly began tumbling through my mind. You never know when and where inspiration will appear, and I'm actually fairly pleased with the result, so I decided to post this instead and postpone the poem I originally planned for today until two weeks from now. I hope you enjoy it!



I am the taste of snow
before the first flake falls.
My breath forms the misty
fog floating, rolling over the hills.
I am in every color, yet I
an none of them.
I am nameless. Homeless.


I am the tranquility
before and after the storm.
My blanket comforts, my
light guides the lost.
I am the stars glittering
bright in the heavens.
I am constant. True.


I am the caps on the tips
of the churning waves.
Mine is the diamond of April,
the pearl of June.
I am the raiment of Everest,
the crown of its cousins.
I am majesty. Power.


I adorn the lilies, the daisies,
the baby’s breath in the fields.
My scent is pure and lovely,
crisp and fresher than dew.
I am the moment of clarity
after the darkness of fear.
I am dignity. Beauty.


I am between the ink
on the leaves of books.
Mine is the voice of silence
in the hours before dawn.
I am the wishes you whisper
to feathery clouds.
I am innocence. Hope.



I am white.

No comments:

Post a Comment