Thursday, March 8, 2018

Burned

I know it's Thursday instead of Saturday, and no, I have not lost my mind. Yet. Talk to me Saturday. I may tell a different tale. This is one of the rare occurrences where you receive two posts this week instead of one!

There's some background to this poem, so please bear with me for a minute whilst I explain.
The buildings surrounding the courthouse in my hometown are some of the oldest buildings in the city, with most of them built in the early 1900's. Various businesses, coffeehouses, and restaurants now occupy those buildings, transforming the old to modern. Two of these buildings were renovated into local "malls" where community vendors sold all sorts of eclectic items.
On Christmas Eve of 2017, one of these malls caught fire and burned to the ground. On my way to lunch to meet my fiance (I decided to walk the mile from campus to the designated restaurant), I passed by the remains of the mall. The smell of smoke and burning wood still lingered on the air, even three months later, and when I passed the gaping hole within the row of buildings, I stopped short. The sight of the gutted building took my breath away. I remember searching for who-knows-what in that mall as a child, teen--up until it burned, honestly. Although I have driven by the building since it burned, I hadn't been that close to it before. So I stopped and took a photo before passing on.
Later, in the ten minutes before Spanish class, the memory of the gutted building haunted me, so I whipped out my computer and wrote about the experience. 

This is the photo I took when I stopped to examine the rubble.

As I walked
Down the street
Today, I passed a burned-out building.

A chain-link
Fence blocked me,
From it, but I stopped to breathe it in.

It still smelled
Of smoke and ash,
The scent heavy, lingering above the ruin.

The brick walls
Were charred black,
Soot-stains painted everything.

They gutted it
Sometime past, and
A pile of scorched rubble sat in the hollow.

I saw where
The flames licked
And gnawed at the ancient frame.

It chewed holes
Through the wood
Of the last wall; I saw the street beyond.

Only three walls
Remained, and even they
Might soon come crashing down.

The blue sky,
Speckled with clouds,
Was the building’s roof and ceiling.

Then I stepped
Back and changed
My perspective of the remains.

The old building
Is gone, yes,
Burned, gutted, a skeletal scar.

But the soot
And ash on
The brick created a mural.

It told a
Story of pain,
Loneliness, hollowness, and despair.

Where once proud,
Where live thrived,
An empty shell screams in silence.

Life will end
The buildings crumble
And fall and burn in greedy flames.

Our bodies wane,
They grow frail,
And over time decay and die.

But like that
Building, our souls
Depart, leaving hollow shells behind.

We are not
There; we’ll be
Rebuilt, restored better than before.

Where some see
Death and ruin,
Others see a painting singing hope.

Where some see
A burned building,
I see beauty. I see a reflection

Of life.
            Of death.

                        Of rebirth.





I'll post another poem for you Saturday per the normal schedule, but in the meantime, I hope you liked this one! As always, feel free to comment your thoughts and suggestions for this blog as I am fairly new to the blogging world and greatly welcome any assistance you feel compelled to provide!

Have a lovely Friday,
Abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment